MVS USA has extensive experience since 2012 in providing data transmission services via satellite to ensure that election results are relayed securely and properly via satellite to the authorities. MVS has successfully supported elections in Brazil, Ecuador, the Ivory Coast and the Philippines.
MVS and Elections
Since 2012, MVS has deployed its Election Network, a temporary closed-circuit network capable of transporting election data, via satellite, securely to the government authorized receiving point. Most recently in 2016, in Brazil, MVS’ private network supported nearly 1,400 MVS SIM cards activated in BGAN terminals
MVS has been building and managing remote communications networks to support elections around the globe for the past 6 years. In addition to its work in Brazil where 1350 BGANs were deployed, MVS has supported elections in the Ivory Coast, Ecuador and the Philippines. In May, MVS successfully executed the largest remote communications project in the Philippines featuring more than 7,000 mobile satellite terminals. MVS’ network securely transmitted captured votes from those living in areas where Internet access is unreliable or unavailable to the Philippine Electoral Committee.
In winning the opportunity to once again support the elections in Brazil, MVS continues to cement itself as the ‘Election Company’ within the satellite industry,” said Deborah Deffaa, CEO of MVS USA. “We have the network reliability, global reach and the highest level of security to ensure that voters can be rightfully included in their country’s electoral process, no matter where they are geographically. We can set up our network in any country on short notice and the rigorous testing we manage in the months leading up to the election ensures that sensitive election data will always reach the appropriate destination without fail.”
How we do it?
The MVS Election Private Circuit:
MVS created 8,500 Election SIM cards with dedicated IP Addresses, Encryption and an election dedicated satellite APN hard programmed inside. They can be used nowhere else and by no other company and will not pass traffic in any public internet network. Each Card Has:
- Unique/proven IP Addressing : As an example MVS has 1,400 SIM cards designed and dedicated exclusively for the Brasil Elections. Each card (see photo attached) , is pre-programmed with a dedicated Private IP address using the European IP address range of 10.200.0.0/16. MVS has created and programmed 7,100 other SIM cards for election use only.
- These addresses have been securely tested and in each case, accepted by the designated national Electoral Servers. In each election our cards have been and used with 100% confirmed, secure, thru-put. These SIMs remain as a resource, reserved exclusively for Elections and are permanently removed from any other assignment.
- Election APN permanently installed inside the MVS Satellite Network.
MVS has built an APN inside it's network for Elections only. It works like a VPN creating a closed tunnel inside the larger Inmarsat satellite channel. The APN is a partitioned bit of the network that contains the satellite terminals, talking via the satellite to the ground equipment. Inside this partitioned bit, we do our own IP addressing scheme.
NOTE: This cannot be accomplished unless the DP is an actual Data Networking Company with its own physical network and data center.
- MVS provides Election transmission Encryption. MVS provides dedicated equipment at each end to complete the secure circuit. The encryption is coded into the SIM and inside the Satellite Channel:
The encryption is done by taking a packet with data, encrypting (coding) it via mathematical formulas, and putting that inside another packet. You achieve two things:
- The whole original packet is encrypted even containing their source and destination address, so even if the source and destination addresses are private / secret, the packet can still travel to its destination;
- If someone manages to intercept a packet, when they look at the content, they only see the coded content which is garbled and they can’t know what the communication was about.
On the receiving end, the original packet is taken out of the “long distance packet” and decrypted.
- VPN tunnel or MPLS circuit to the Dedicated Electoral Server:
The network is totally secure because the election traffic flows through a satellite APN to the MVS Data Center, a dedicated Election radius server routes the Election IP addresses and pushes them through the temporary Election VPN encrypted the entire route. The Election data doesn’t touch the Internet anywhere, this is unique. The traffic is encrypted on all parts of the network without any possibility for third parties to see the contents of the traffic.
MVS uniquely provides Encypted routing, dedicated Election only APN, secure IP addressing, Radius Server, Firewalling on each terminal and massive firewall protection using our Palo Alto’s on the network within a network pipeline, Management servers and VPN or MPLS circuits, and encoded SIM’s. In addition we provide a ‘Blue Book’ for the election process to project manage engineering and individual network architecture requirements & features, deliverables, training and testing.